WHOIS IP Lookup Tool
The IPWHOIS Lookup tool finds contact information for the owner of a specified IP address.
About IPWHOIS Lookup
The IPWHOIS Lookup tool displays as much information as possible for a given IP address, sourced from the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) to which the address belongs.
A RIR is an organization that manages the allocation and registration of Internet number resources within a particular region of the world. Internet number resources include IP addresses and autonomous system (AS) numbers.The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) delegates Internet resources to the RIRs who, in turn, follow their regional policies to delegate resources to their customers, which include Internet service providers and end-user organizations.
Each IP address on the global public Internet is administered by one of the 5 RIRs within a particular region of the world. As such, each globally routable IP address is associated with its RIR's region, and the RIR's allocation policy results in an IP address being associated again with a specific country or region with a country. This association is a function of the assignees location. For example, if an RIR allocates a block of IP addresses to a large ISP in the United States, but the ISP assigns one of those addresses to a customer in Vancouver, Canada the location of the IP address will be reported as being in United States. More accurate Geo-location data may be available using the GeoIP tool.
There are five RIRs:
- African Network Information Centre (AfriNIC) for Africa
- American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) for the United States, Canada, and several parts of the Caribbean region
- Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre (APNIC) for Asia, Australia, and neighboring countries
- Latin America and Caribbean Network Information Centre (LACNIC) for Latin America and parts of the Caribbean region
- RIPE NCC for Europe, the Middle East, and Central Asia